When I started this blog, I added a bunch of links to my sidebar in order to share other great parrot resources. Since then I’ve added a few links here and there, but quite a few more parrot blogs have either sprung up in the mean time or come to my attention; and quite a few others seem to have fallen inactive or been pulled down.
So it’s time to update the Best in Flock blogroll – I’ll be going through my links and evaluating the bird blogs I already know about, but would love some input from the community on other parrot sites I should consider. I’ll also be dropping a bunch of links – so if you think I should keep something, make sure to let me know.
What I’m looking for in blogroll suggestions:
- The blog is primarily/exclusively about (or “by”) parrots.
- Blog should be at least several months old. This will help weed out that huge percentage of blogs that gets started and abandoned almost immediately.
- Blog should be currently active and updated at least once or twice a month.
Here’s what I probably won’t link to:
- Blogs that offer what I consider to be bad advice or poor examples of how to care for a companion animal.
- Blogs that may mention parrots every once in a while but aren’t primarily about birds.
- Thin affiliate blogs whose sole purpose is peddling crappy parrot training DVDs. These are a dime a dozen, offering nothing original, and very often written by the owners of said DVD program and/or people who don’t even appear to have parrots, but create blogs with recycled content and fake testimonials in hopes of making a quick buck off of affiliate commissions.
I do consider the blogroll to be my recommendations (aka, a de facto quasi-endorsement to a small degree), so I think it’s important to have these criteria — I’m not trying to be snobby or judgmental, just making sure I only link to the best stuff. (The blog doesn’t need to be “professional looking” or self-hosted – it’s the content I care about.)
So, what’s your favorite parrot blog? Who do you read?
Here are some of my (new and old) favorites to inspire your creative juices:
- Likambo.com – Carly Lu’s Flight Blog
- Good Bird Inc.’s blog – authored by Barbara Heidenreich
- Life of Pis – where I, ahem, Mika is a co-contributer
- Heckled by Parrots
- Parrot Musings
- Parrot Nation – by Patricia Sund
Ok, your turn… what parrot blogs do you recommend?
p.s. If you like Best in Flock, please feel free to link to it from your site as well.
I love your blog! I have a few links to other bird related blogs on my site that you might like. You can see them at the link below.
Thanks so much for once again posting “Parrot Nation”. I appreciate it!
I always enjoy flying by “BIF”!
all the best,
I completely agree with this post, i do have some great resources to offer one is a great forum for parrot owners mainly african grey parrots, they also have a blog its africangreyparrot.info, i personally love the information they have. also thank you for the great resources on this site, its great to see good content on the web.
I’m a favorite!! *Does the Snoopy dance.*
Thanks for including Darwin’s Quill in your blogroll. Looks like you’ve found some great blogs that we should add to our own list of links.
One that’s not yet on your list that we enjoy reading is Doodle Bird at caiqueclowns.blogspot.com.
Thanks Darwin – what a wonderful suggestion. I’ve added Doodle Bird to my blogroll as well!
Wow! What an awesome list and many thanks for including me : ) Really fabulous work Melanie. I think I will avoid trying to meet my magazine deadline and spend some time exploring the blogroll. lol!
Don’t forget http://www.superiorparrot.com (which is accepting new pictures, by the way).
My blog isn’t primarily about parrots but I do include info on the happenings over at BirdChannel.com. Either way, I’d like to link back to your blog. Responsible pet ownership is important and getting the info out to other owners or those interested in owning pets (especially exotics like parrots) is also very important. You have a great blog here!